The Brunfelsia plant - Beautiful but DEADLY

Brunfelsia, also nicknamed 'yesterday, today, tomorrow plant', is highly toxic to dogs and cats and will now be in bloom with the arrival of Spring.

All parts of this plant are toxic, with the berries being the most potent part. One of the deadly toxins is a stimulant (brunfelsamidine), while the other toxic agent is a depressant (hopeanine), the power of both of these toxins together will leave your pet severely ill if they get their paws on it.

If ingested, symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Anxiety
  • Difficulty walking
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • And in the later stages, death

Although it's pretty, we highly recommend to remove this plant from your yard if you have it. If you think your pet may have gotten their paws on some, seek veterinary advice ASAP by calling us on 4951 4222.

Share